Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Buzz of Activity

When we last checked on our intrepid builder, the cabinets were finished and we were waiting on countertops.




Stil waiting. The 2-3 day estimate that Lowes sold us turned out to be a 2 week estimate from the countertop vendor. So we've asked, informed, and threatened and everyone is aware that Dec 6 is the drop dead date for countertops. They assure me that it won't be a problem. I sure hope so. That gives me two days to install the stove, dishwasher, and faucets and get it all working before our party on the 8th.

So I've moved on to other parts of the project. The first job was to finish installing the oven. It's done and it works and it's beautiful! I ran a full cleaning cycle. Unlike my old oven, that worked, the inside got hot, and the outside stayed cool. Awesome!



Installed the pot filler faucet over the stove. This was my favorite new addition. No more carrying pots full of water from the sink to the stove, no more finding a glass to add just a bit of water to steam/saute. It's fresh, filtered water right at the stove.



The roofers are here. Day 0 consisted of the masons coming to look at the chimney. We all knew that the chimney was falling down and in need of massive repair. These guys came in, set up and twenty minutes later had tuck pointed the whole chimney with new morter, waterproofed the brick and fixed the shoddy job that the furnace installers had done with the chimney pipe. Awesome.

After a little snafu anent skylight specifications we're moving forward there too. I've framed the skylight openings and the roofers are going to have everything they need by Tuesday to finish the project.



The roof tear down was amazing to watch: shingles raining down on all sides of the house as a crew of 5 just went to town! As expected, we found some rot in the fascia and soffit boards. Carpenters are fixing that right now.

I missed the most exciting bit of the day but Julie watched. They attempted to weave a huge crane load (plywood and felt) from the street onto the roof. Over one set of wires and under another set! In the end it couldn't be done and I'm watching the poor roofers carrying 4x8 sheets of plywood up ladders. Better them than me, but I still feel bad.

The windows and sliding door are fully installed now and the insulation is complete. I'm finishing the last electrical and plumbing bits tonight.

So we're actually right on schedule for a December 8 Birthday Party. Wish me luck!

No comments: